To Team or Not to Team

      To Team or Not to Team

I have made the decision to work with a group for my portfolio. We have done multiple activities and read many articles about team building. The activities and articles showed how personalities will affect the way a group works together. Which is understandable; some personalities are not the type to work in a team. After reading these and doing the activities it showed my group and I that we would be a good team together and would be able to get everything done. 

          My group includes me, Olivia Swanson, and Tatiana Vivoni. While working on the Lost at Sea activity we first worked alone then on the second time around we worked together. While working together we were able to see everyone's perspective and why they chose the things they chose. There were disagreements with some of the ideas, but we were able to figure out which was correct and why they were. This activity helped us see if we would be able to work together or if we would be better working alone. We all found out we got better scores while working together. In the article “The effect of personality type on team performance” the author states “The ideal team should be.  highly diversified in the talents and knowledge each member contributes, while maintaining open, nonthreatening communication.” When the author said this they were demonstrating that you need all types of knowledge and personalities to contribute towards working together. Which is what we did. Tatiana was always contributing, asking question and clarification. Olivia was also always contributing and knew how to explain her reasoning. I did this as well. Which is what helped make us work together so well. In another article “Team building and group dynamics: creating and fostering a culture of teamwork requires trust, collaboration, and accountability” the author states “  It uses the Everything DiSC behavioral assessment to establish a neutral language and help participants have productive conversations to develop within these five competency areas.” The author is showing that having certain personalities and such will help you create productive conversations and help your group get work done. 

          After all, I have decided to work as a group. I have done research, done activities, and wrote reasons for and against working together. Which has helped me come to my conclusion to work as a team. I have decided to work as a team because it helps get work done quicker, there’s more diversity in the work we do and we are all three able to help each other find results and reasoning. At first, I was contemplating whether or not I wanted to work by myself or with a group. After we did the activities I found out I work better as a team and I am able to help others and ask others for help because we will all be working together on the same topic. I will be working as a team because of my reasonings. 

Comments